Monday, March 13, 2006

L'Abri

My friend Hannah is going to L'Abri in Switzerland next semester. The French word "L'Abri" means "shelter" and it's basically a self-study school anyone, from any background, can go to to ask questions and get honest answers about life and its meaning. As I understand it, the school is set up communally--students garden, cook, and clean for themselves and each other. Students discuss questions over the dinner table every day. About a third of the time is spent studying, another thrid working, and another third doing other things (traveling?). When you arrive at L'Abri, you receive a personal tutor who directs you in the subject you want to pursue. Weekly lectures are also given, I believe.

L'Abri was started by Francis and Edith Schaeffer, one of the most godly, like-minded, and intelligent couples to walk the planet. I'm reading Edith Schaeffer's book "L'Abri" and have been blessed by her faith, critical mind, and fidelity to Scriputre. I'm writing down quotes I think are exciting. Here's one you might like:

"The thing about real life is that important events don't announce themselves. Trumpets don't blow, drums don't beat to let you know you are going to meet the most important person you've ever met, or read the most important thing you are ever going to read, or have the most important conversation you are ever going to have, or spend the most important week you are ever going to spend. Usually something that is going to change your life is a memory before you can stop and be impressed about it. You don't usually have a chance to get excited about that sort of thing . . . ahead of time!" (ch. 5)

If that's not exciting - the future, mystery, God's goodness, which rests in His wisdom - I don't know what is.

2 comments:

Justin Scott said...

Hey Cate. I've actually been to the L'Abri in England and it really is an amazing place. My Dad is actually friends with Susan Schaeffer McCaulay, Edith and Francis' daughter. I'll have to talk to you about it sometime. Sweet.

joydriven said...

I'm shooting to spend a week (?) there (well, either the London one or the Switzerland one) this June. Kammer's coming back from London on 26 April, so I'll miss him. Would you mind hooking me up with Hannah somehow?

And I agree, it's nice to see you blogging again.