A respected teacher once said, "Spontaneity is what my grandson does in his pants." Although I see where he's coming from, I think spontaneity is a lot more than that. Spontaneity is the spice of life--it's what makes fun people fun, colorful personalities colorful! Without spontaneity this world would be pretty boring.
Spontaneous moments in my last few weeks: I was bike riding on the Issaquena Trail the Sunday before I had a big paper due for a class (2 weeks ago?). I should have been writing--I know. But I'd already committed to biking, so I couldn't back out of it. I also had an RA banquet that night, so I had to get back in time to shower and get ready. We rode along Lake Hartwell and basked in the glorious view of the shimmering water. About three-fourths of the way through the ride, my friend discovered a rope swing. I had 20 minutes to be back in order to get my shower, and that would have been pushing it, but we decided to do the rope swing instead--in our biking clothes. Oh, it was so fun. I went to the RA banquet with hair still wet from the lake, but it was worth it. And the paper--it's over. What will I remember 10 years from now: spending my Sunday afternoon writing an essay, or swinging on a rope swing? Easy answer ;).
Another spontaneous moment: A friend and I went running at 9:00 one night--a little late to start running, honestly. We ran to the Botanical Gardens, hung out in the 80-ton bird's nest sculpture (It really looks like a bird's nest, but it's made of tree trunks! Amazing.), kept running around the gardens, talked about honeysuckles and philosophy, got back to Stadium Suites and dived (I mean dived) onto the grass, fresh and warm, waiting for us to gaze at the heavens with it.
Moment number three: Late night grits at Waffle House then driving around town—of course I want to keep driving.
Spontaneity makes for some unforgettable moments.
What is it in us that loves surprises and spontaneity? I think God likes to surprise us and glory in His own creativity. Look at His good creation--from the micros to the cosmos, beauty and creativity can be found in everything. We're His image-bearers and we draw pleasure from surprising each other, as well. What do you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This is a spontaneous and random comment.
I stumbled onto a link to your blog while browsing another blog.
Congrats on the chocolate milk and sleeping in the library! Are you still reading Edith Schaeffer's book? I'm in Geneva right now, about an hour from the original L'Abri.
It was good to see you at the vending room picnic last month :)
I added you to my blogroll
Post a Comment