Wednesday, November 01, 2006

For good or for awesome


I went to another lovely wedding last weekend--for one of my residents last semester, Justin, and his new wife Erin. They're beautiful people. And, I noticed everyone invited to the wedding was also beautiful! :) Ha--I especially mean the middle aged people. Both of their sets of parents were so nice-looking! Um, anyway...

I didn't do anything for Halloween yesterday. Well, I wore my mom's old hippie shirt to class, but that's all. I've been a little sick yesterday and today. I just read a REALLY interesting NY Times article on how women's Halloween costumes have gotten skankier, just in the last few years, which is surprising since you'd think with the feminist movement they'd be getting more androgynous. It's kind of interesting how feminism and conservatism could be like-minded on a lot of issues. Or, at least, appear to be (maybe having different motivations). Feminism is definitely appealing to me more and more these days. I don't really mean the feminism that says that women are better than men, but the kind that recognizes we're equal--not exactly the same, but equally valuable as people. Women can think, too. I'm pretty sure I didn't always recognize/appreciate that.

Eleanor Roosevelt: I'm reading a bio on her for history, and, what a fascinating first lady. She's the only first lady I know of who published her disagreements with her husband! She was a pretty special woman, I'd say.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Cate, that's so funny when you write that the people invited to the wedding were beautiful people, and then you say, "Um, I mean, the middle aged people were beautiful, like the parents...uh...." Don't you mean to say that "the single guys at that wedding were HOT, and if any of them are reading this blog, contact me immediately!"? ha ha.

Cate Raff said...

Jen! Of course not--how could you think that? Seriously, I did mean the middle aged people. And, that's embarrassing--both your comment and for me to admit that the middle aged people were good-looking.