Saturday, January 19, 2008

Brand new start

I'm back in Spain! I got back Monday and started work Tuesday, with a whole new schedule this semester. The other American girl and I are teaching our own classes in a big, colorful classroom called "Wonderland." Now, instead of working five half-days, I'm working two full days and one half day and get Monday and Tuesday off, which will be really great. I also just (as in, 10 minutes ago) moved into a new house with a family! I've been looking into living with a family for a long time so I can practice my Spanish more, but had a hard time finding anything. A lot of university placement programs are really expensive, and I didn't want to pay too much, but I was starting to get desperate. Hannah recommended I post a profile on an aupair website called greataupair.com, and I immediately started getting calls and emails. Now I'm a "temporary aupair" for a family with an 8 year-old boy and 6 year-old twin girls. They're all really cute. I'm going to Speak mostly in English with the kids but in Spanish with the parents and the grandma, who comes over to help a lot. My schedule (with school) isn't exactly what they're looking for, but I can still help out in the afternoons.

So, I'm really excited!

I had a really rough, homesick week back, but there ARE a lot of things to look forward to being back. It was good to see some friends over the week--Biz, Melissa, Chris, Sarah. It's also exciting to have my "Spring Renewals" I made with Hannah--go to the library! take advantage of living in a big city by going to museums, concerts, etc., learn Spanish!

Anyway, more later... I'm going to play with my girls: Claudia and Patricia. Alejandro is at a basketball game. :)

2 comments:

Justin Scott said...

We miss you Cate! I'm glad to hear you're back safe and sound in Madrid. Living with a family sounds really fun.

I tried to find you on greataupair.com but no luck. oh well.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. I used greataupair.com to get my first nanny job.