Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Semana Santa

All teachers are pretty ready for a break around this time of year. And, fortunately, next week is Semana Santa, aka "Holy Week." I think Easter is my favorite holiday (I love Thanksgiving, too), and the week before Easter is always thrilling. I loved going to the Maundy Thursday services at DCF the past two years--experiencing my first footwashing services and being prayed over by leaders in the church. You can't feel anything less than humble gratitude when someone prays for you out of a sincere and loving heart. My grandpa prays for me every day, which I value more than almost anything. And I know I have other friends and family members who pray for me often, too. I appreciate those prayers. Anyway, I also love Good Friday and the heaviness of of the holiday. The fact that there are "heavy," very serious holidays is so unique (Maundy Thursday's another one--Ash Wednesday, too). Ellen K. is coming to visit for Semana Santa (!) and we're going to be in the heart of the world's Holy Week celebrations: Spain. But we're also going to experience some of Southern Spain (Granada and Sevilla), which is the heart of the heart of Semana Santa. We're HOPING to see the Alhambra in Granada, and some of the processions in Sevilla (a dozen men carrying medieval, two-ton statues of Christ and the Virgin through the city's narrow streets; they've been practicing all year). I'll tell you how everything goes.

Then, the day before Ellen leaves :(, Seth comes :)! We're going to PARIS--a first-time experience for both of us. I have a friend (Jean-Sebastian--such a great French name!) whose family we'll stay with at least a night or two, and two of Seth's good friends from school are going to be in the city at the same time as us! So we'll have more travel buddies! Yay! We found great ticket prices on Ryanair (only 55 euros for two round-trip tickets!). Hopefully we won't spend any more money than we have to in Paris, because I don't think our Euros will go as far there as they would in Spain...

Speaking of money, read this Peter Singer article--it's pretty earth-shaking.

http://www.utilitarian.net/singer/by/1972----.htm

And it definitely makes me feel guilty for wanting to travel. What do you think of that?

3 comments:

Justin Scott said...

When I read the title I thought this was going to be about a Spanish Christmas or something.

We will miss you at the Maundy Thursday service this year!

Cate Raff said...

I'll miss you guys, too! :(

Robert said...

Could I have family e-mails. Mine is Raff_Robert@hotmail.com. so I can write. It is easier for me to stay in touch by e-mail than phone.