Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Old friends

Mr. O'Hearn, my Uncle Bobby and my Grandma, Phyllis Catherine McNulty Droney (sent from Carolyn Nadeau)

I've heard the names Rose and Colin Nadeau throughout my life. They were some of my maternal grandparents' closest friends, and their five children grew up with my mom's family of five children. My aunt told me a while ago that one of the Nadeau daughters and her family are actually living in Madrid this year and I should get together with them. So, yesterday it finally worked out for me to meet Carolyn Nadeau and her husband and four children. They had me over to their flat for lunch (spaghetti with meatballs--reminded me of Grandma's recipe), then Carolyn and I talked over cafe con leche. I thought it was interesting how comfortable they were for me to be around--warm, like my family, a little bit eclectic, maybe, like my family, slightly scattered, perhaps (even the way their kitchen was organized reminded me more of my family than most families I meet). I felt at home. :)

Anyway, I also thought it was really cool that in meeting Carolyn, we were sort of honoring the really strong, almost family-like friendship than ran in our blood. Her having me over reminded me of this: "'Don't be afraid,' David said to [Mephibosheth], 'for I will surely show you kindness for the sake of your father Jonathan... and you will always eat at my table.'" I love the idea that friendship can make you as close as family to someone--I have a few "sisters" in addition to my five wonderful ones (and brothers, too :)). And someday I hope my grandchildren show kindness to my their grandchildren, if they have the chance to.

8 comments:

SAR said...

how wonderful.

drew said...

This is what I was thinking about--this is the kind of thing I want to video.

Not to just think of your family as people but as an entity, to try to capture the personality as a whole, as well as its relationships. There's something really beautiful about that.

Cheers.

Robert said...

I need e mail for the sisters. It's easier for me to stay in touch this way. Raff_Robert@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

hey cate! love u can't wait to see ya!

Jennie said...

And by organized do you mean disorganized? :) Just kidding. That is so cool, Cate, and I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes you just know you're with family.
I miss you!!

Cate Raff said...

Drew--yeah, it sounds like an exciting project--I think I want to copy your idea. And it's cool we'd end up with completely different final products.

And, sisters, I can't wait to see you so soon!!

nbinkd said...

Nice blog. I live in Madrid (I'm spanish), if you want to make an english-spanish exchange. I like your interests! I like Bach and Lord of the Flies, too. planverd@yahoo.com

sarahroselyons said...

our grandkids better be sweet peas.