Sunday, May 21, 2006
90 days
The other day I ran across my old CIT notebook from exactly four years ago. I remember being assigned to write down 100 ways in which I was selfish. I was amazed reading over the list at how little I've changed in four years! I'm still impatient with my mom. I still don't fill the gas when I'm done using the car. Some "selfish habits" have become obsolete: Alice and I have no reason to fight over who gets to talk on the phone at night; we have cell phones now. The foundational habit I hadn't formed then was consistency in reading the Bible--and I still haven't formed it. So, they say it takes 90 days to make or break a habit. (I wonder if that's scientific or if it's just a mind-over-matter thing.) So, I'm starting to read the Bible every day, even for just five minutes, and am planning on keeping it up for ninety days. I don't want to look back in four years and still be where I am now. Sometimes I'd rather read Francis Schaeffer or C.S. Lewis than the Bible, honestly. But "apologetical books" like Hebrews are exciting--Hebrews is where I'm starting my journey into consistency (consistency as opposed to spontaneity?). I want my love for the Word to develop--and with it my love for Truth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's funny...I still have my list too, Cate...same thing with me...it's amazing how tight they hang on...true unselfishness takes suffering. Only those who have really suffered can really be selfless. That's a good truth, even when it's tough to swallow(during that suffering.) Just got to hold onto what God wants as the end result. Definitely easier said than done, but God's eternally good.
Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»
Post a Comment