Thursday, July 13, 2006

Sad Day

Yesterday was a somber one. My best friend here Joy said goodbye to me while I was working the breakfast shift. I started crying on the job. She was supposed to leave tomorrow--early enough to prepare for her move in to U Penn for dental school and to spend time with her new fiancee. She and Nathan were engaged the week before she came here. (Yeah, I'd be leaving early, too!) She decided to leave two days early - yesterday - because Nathan has been diagnosed with a serious heart condition. The night before last was spent in tears and prayers with Emily and Lindsay, the two ministering angels who have taken Joy and I in while their other roommate has been away. We've become like sisters here. I already miss Joy.

And what a stark contrast to that day she found out about Nathan. We had a shopping spree at Sierra Trading Post with Joy's parents and a Chinese girl named Melissa. I invested in a pair of hiking boots and Joy in a tent and some North Face jackets. That night we decided "investments" in camping gear don't matter. Winning arguments doesn't matter. People do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is short. It doesn't take much to put things into perspective, does it? In light of eternity - people matter.

James said...

Cate -- you've got a blog too!