Saturday, September 22, 2007

Party + bangs = a very good evening

The view from my apartment--sweet

Me and my new bangs--and my room

Last night I had a little "going away party" for everyone to say "adios" to our TEFL course (which I'm so happy is finished! I'll have so much free time now!). I was pleasantly surprised that most of the class decided to come :). I've been cleaning up from it all day, actually--a true sign of a successful party (just kidding).

Well, I'd been thinking, for a while now, about getting bangs: about how much cooler I would become if I had them. I'll never be as cool as Ellen K., but maybe if I get bangs like hers, I thought, I could come close. So last night I decided to ask my dear friend Melissa if she would cut them for me (she herself has marvelous bangs). And she did: there in the bathroom at the height of the party. It was a great night. Now I've accomplished step 2 in becoming a hip, happenin' European woman: getting bangs. Step 1 was getting pointy shoes. I think step 3 is getting a mullet, so I don't think I'll ever really reach Western Europe's standards of enlightenment.

Too bad.

Tonight I, and the whole city of Madrid, are celebrating a fiesta called La Noche en Blanco--basically the one night a year during which museums and shops are open all night. So, I'll be visiting the Prado at about 2 in the morning. Isn't that exciting? I hope that churros restaurant is open... Maybe a kebab wouldn't be so bad, either.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Your writing is so funny, Cate! I love the part about how having bangs is the 2nd step to becoming a hip, happenin' European woman! I actually think those bangs remind me of my own bangs, the way they go off to the side! :) Very nice!!

Anonymous said...

I love your bangs--very hip! check your email! Annie

SAR said...

you are hilarious :)