Friday, January 25, 2008

2 weeks

It's hard to believe it's been less than two weeks since I've been back. It feels more like a couple months--I feel pretty much completely readjusted to being in a country where I don't understand the conversations around me anymore. :( Which sounds sad, but it's ok. Well, the family I'm living with right now is great--they're so sweet and smart and family-oriented. They remind me a little of my aunts and uncles, and the Wikes, who I babysat back home. The mom and dad traveled the world together before they had kids. They have pictures around their house from India, South America, and Africa, where they observed gorillas together on one of these amazing, expensive (I'm sure) tours. Someday I'M going to observe gorillas in Zambia. They all play memory-improving games together. They're that kind of family. I read stories to them in English every night at dinner. Cute. Oh, and the kids go to a school where they don't use books at all--instead, they draw pictures every day and make their own books. It's a really cool idea.

Last night Carmen asked me if I would think about staying with them till June, was really nice of her. I'm not sure if I will or not, though--it would be so great to live with them, but I'm thinking of some of the things on my "list" (the one Hannah and I made together) that I wouldn't be able to do so easily living and working with a family: taking advantage of free city events, traveling, getting involved in some kind of ministry, etc. There wouldn't be quite as much time for those things. So, I'm thinking/praying about it. I am learning Spanish better here than I was before, which is a priority, but still, I'm speaking in English to the kids all the time. So, yeah--there's a lot to think about. We'll see what happens next :). Oh, it is so nice living with a family, though. Humans are social beings--we need community so much.

2 comments:

Justin Scott said...

My freshman English prof used to say "people are social critters." I liked the phrase a lot.

Cate Raff said...

That's cute :). So true, though!