Friday, April 14, 2006

Engagement

Rebekah and John are to be wed October 14 of this year! She took cuts from classes today and they rose before dawn to journey to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Here's Rebekah's story: "I was a little suspicious that he might be proposing, but didn't want to be disappointed if he didn't. When he started taking pictures of the sunrise ("before pictures," in his mind), I doubted this would be the day he'd ask me. John's been re-reading John Piper's "Desiring God" and was reading me some quotes from it. He told me there was a section on marriage he wanted me to read and gave me the book. I flipped over to the page where the paragraph was and he had cut out a section of the book to fit the ring into!" She said yes this Good Friday the fourteenth of April in the Year of Our Lord Two-thousand and Six.

A note: Rebekah and I have been kindred spirits for about the past three years. When I think of a "faithful" friend, I think of her. She and John fit each other in their desire for truth, their analytical minds, and their love for people. Rebekah never ceases to sharpen me in our conversations. By that, I mean she happens to bring up the topic I've JUST been thinking about and she'll push me to developing it lightyears further than I could on my own. This has happend I don't even know how many times! I appreciate that. People meet John and are swept away by his humility, thoughtfulness, and sharp mind. We joke around that he must be perfect, but I'm sure he's not, somehow. It just seems like he is. When I think of the two of them together, my heart rejoices! How exciting to see how God will use them together to glorify Himself!

No comments: