Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Sweet action

I'm falling in love with Yellowstone! Last night I went camping with three other really cool, down-to-earth girls. We camped next to the Yellowstone River, which is beautiful but frighteningly powerful. We decided to set up camp at about 8:00 and then explore. As we were walking back to the tent, Becca said, "Hey guys, I think we should maybe just stay here [and not keep exploring in the other direction]... because there's a bear right there!" It was walking where we had just come from, about ten yards away from us! We started clapping and yelling to let him/her know we were there as we hurried into our tent. It was HUGE, but it slowly meandered away, fortunately! We only really saw the back of it, so it's hard to say whether it was a grizzly or just a black bear, but it had a honey-brown coat of fur. I've never seen one so light. It just might have been a grizzly! We ate all the snacks we brought with us then so our new friend wouldn't come back during the night to visit. I slept pretty peacefully, even though I was paranoid it'd come back.

Oh--good news! I start training for serving tomorrow, so I'll be out of the dish pit :). Actually, being a server is one of the best jobs you can get around here--though I'm sure it will add some stress to my life.

Joy and our friend Jesse and I went to me and Joy's first-ever rodeo Monday night! We took THE MOST BEAUTIFUL drive I've ever taken to Cody, WY--Chief Joseph Scenic Byway. It looked like we were in "The Lion King." We even saw the real-life replica of pride rock--seriously, it looked just like it ;). Oh, and we saw a RAINBOW on top of this plateau. It was gorgeous! Jesse grew up doing rodeo stuff, so he explained all the events of the rodeo to us. Jesse left Yellowstone yesterday and is now following his dreams and moving to Nashville to make it big in country music. He's from Washington--I didn't realize people other than in the South listened to country music, but all the cowboys here do! Jesse's definitely a "hard-core" cowboy.

I still haven't received any mail here and am very dissappointed! But it's not too late--I'll be here till at LEAST late July. I'm contemplating leaving early, honestly, and going to my friend's wedding in Sweden July 29! Hmmm... Anyway, send me mail! I will feel so loved! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cate! Reba and I decided to fly out to Yellowstone and kidnap you and bring you back to the motherland. Or hitch a ride with you to sweden. Not sure yet. Maybe they have a giant birdsnest there too. We should investigate :) Take care and email me!

Anonymous said...

Hey Cate! Long time, no talk or see! I figured since you were longing for an email I would leave something on your blog. I found your blog off of themotjuste. It sounds like your having a great time. I'm in Devner for the summer and it is beautiful here too. I'm looking forward to reading your blog. I'd love to hear from you!
-Mark

Anonymous said...

Cate! i'm writing you a letter now and mailing it soon!! i love you and miss you and think of you often!

Anonymous said...

oops...that last comment was from hannah...i don't know how to label it :)