Saturday, July 08, 2006

Engagement, tourists, and the fourth of July

Hey guess what! My sister Leah's engaged! Congratulations to Leah and Reagan. They got engaged downtown Greenville by the Reedy River in the place where they had their first kiss--aawww :). They've been dating since her sophomore year of high school and his senior year. Yay! The fourth of July is one of their special holidays... How romantic.

I've been entertained by American tourists here in Yellowstone. What an average American looks like, I don't know--I've seen people wearing t-shirts with a graphic of their state on them. Is that normal? Where does the average American shop for clothes? My sister Anna and I decided it was Wal-Mart and Old Navy. I think that's about right... But Old Navy, even though it's not super-nice, seems a lot cooler than the styles most people here wear. The average American is overweight and loud. I remember coming back from South Africa on the plane and it was so LOUD. Americans want things their way, and they want them now. We're a consumer culture and an instant-gratification society, which can make things hard on your server :).

July 4th was a beautiful day to go to the Livingston Rodeo! I went with a group: Justin and Adam (the security guards), Lisa, Celia, Janel and Cory. This 4th of July was Livingston's record-high in rodeo attendance--about 5,000 people were there. Our group got to the rodeo late and they were actually already sold out. But we waited by the gate long enough that the bouncer just let us all in for free! The fireworks after the rodeo were pretty nice. Watching fireworks is just always mesmirizing/hyptnotizing, like watching any kind of fire.





Us at the rodeo.

5 comments:

joydriven said...

looks great. i do miss the mountains. good to see you're doing well.

JB said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You are such a good writer, Cate! You make me laugh out loud.

Anonymous said...

Hey there Cate... it's Kate!
I JUST got this blog from Aunt Tricia and boy has it been fun to read about your adventures. It brings back so many memories of our time out there in 1979!!! YEP, that WAS a long time ago!
Nice to know that you are falling in love with it like we did. If you get back to Bozeman, see if the Rocky Mountain Pasta Co. is still there. YUM. Another favorite place spot to get out of eating cafeteria food was to drive 2 hours to Chico Hot Springs, eat an amazing meal at the restaurant of the hotel, swim in the hot spring pool, and then drive all the way back that same night to the dorms! Have you noticed how different Distance FEELS out there??

Well, I had just sent you a letter the other day so be on the look-out for it, Cate. It'll be so good to see you at the beach in August and hear more!!! Thanks for the blog, and thanks for being such a good nerd for all of us!

love to you,
Aunt Kate

Cate Raff said...

Thanks for reading, guys! How nice to have an audience :). Aunt Kate, I'll try to make it to Rocky Mountain Pasta Co. in Bozeman. What a cute city, too!