Sunday, July 16, 2006

Highlights of the week


First of all, to my Aunt Tricia and Uncle Doug: thank you for the AMAZING care package/"survival kit"! I've never received a package so grandiose as that! My friends have enjoyed sharing in the spoils of chocolate truffles. I can't wait for an opportunity to wear the "angel hair wig." The slippers have come in handy already, and I'm wearing my new Red Sox hat as I write this! You guys are such incredible gift-givers.

I received a letter from Aunt Kate the very day my package arrived (double-whammy! yes!) with the advice to visit Chico Hot Springs. Well, last night I finally made it to Chico! It was really cool, and pretty tourist-y :). It's looks like a big swimming pool but it's fed by a natural hot spring. Swimming in it was SO relaxing, hot, and needed after a long week of work!

After swimming, my friends and I went to Livingston for "Pirates of the Caribbean." We got there late so the girls at the ticket booth let us in free! Livingston people are pretty cool about that, apparently! It was an okay movie (not as good as the first one); it was just nice to go to a movie theater for the first time in a long time.

What else exciting happened this week? I've felt a bit overworked, honestly. Roosevelt has been bringing in people from Canyon to help us out since we're so understaffed. Here's the problem: we don't have enough people but we also don't have enough housing to bring in new staff. And people become so frustrated from being overworked that they leave early, which places even more of the work burden on those of us who are left here. It's a vicious cycle! The days off exploring are worth it all, though. As are the amazing, God-willing lifelong friendships I've made here.

Oh! As a result of some good advice from a friend, I'm learning to play the guitar here! It's fun! My friend Emily is teaching me what she knows... And by the time I get back I'll be ready to start my girl band. Anyone want to join? :)

5 comments:

joydriven said...

YES; please sign me up for the girl band. i could do vocals and harmonica. (that is, if i get a replacement for the harmonica i left in france. hmm.)

i sent my brother (who is having an i'mnotreallysurei'majoringinsomethingiwanttobedoingfor therestofmylife!!!?!! crisis right now) your blog link and he's now ready to "do some time" working at yellowstone. can he come? he plays guitar.... (http://www.supersiblings.com/70x7)

Anonymous said...

Cate, I've changed my mind. Instead of learning the cello, I'm going to attempt the mandolin (my guitar teacher was playing around on his the other day). Chris Thile, watch out.
Let's call ourselves "Fickle Creek."
Joy, I'm so glad you've decided to join.

Anonymous said...

Count me in, babe. Every good girl band needs an egg shaker. Ha ha, just kidding. But piano could be cool, huh? And my incredible voice wouldn't hurt...

Anonymous said...

CATE!!! I just got photoshop!!! And since it was for work, it was free!!!!! I'm so excited and I didn't know how else to tell you besides posting it. Oh, and thanks so much for your sweet letter! I loved getting it!
See you soon!

Cate Raff said...

Joy, Jess, and Jen--you're in the band. Joy, sure--your brother can join, too, but then it won't be a girl band. I'm sure even the Dixie Chicks have guys helping them out sometimes! Jen!! Photoshop! Yay :). Can I play with it? I'm glad you got my letter--thanks for yours ;).