Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Derrida

I've thought this about Derrida and other literary theorists for a while, but didn't know someone said this about Socrates.

Meno: "Socrates, I used to hear before ever I met you that you do nothing but perplex yourself and other people. And now, it seems you are bewitching me--and dragging me and binding me completely with your spells, so that I have become saturated with perplexity. And if you will allow me to speak facetiously, you seem to me to resemble to a striking degree, both in appearance and in other respects, the flat electric ray that lives in the sea. For it numbs anyone who comes in contact with it, and you seem to have done something of the sort to me. For in truth, I feel a numbness both in my mind and on my lips, and I do not know what answer to make to you." (Plato's Meno 80 A)

It's funny--parts of it could be used in a love speech, too :).

2 comments:

admin said...

quite interesting.

Anonymous said...

How's life? I just read about Canada--looks like it was a blast!!