I remember, as a seventh-grader, being spellbound by David Bowie's lyrics while surfing Encarta during computer class: "Time may change me, but I can't change time."
Now I think they sound a little cheezy--but they still ring true. The emptying of the nest happened too fast, I think all the sisters agree. Alice is the only little bird left at home :). And here I am, living in a foreign country (it was bound to happen someday), waiting for time to change me.
I moved into my new apartment two days ago. I love it so far--the view of Madrid from the 11th floor is really stunning, especially at sunset (which happens around 9:30 here). One of my flatmates (Bierd? I don't know how to spell it, actually) lived in London three years and speaks English with a South African accent because all her friends there were South African--I love it! The other one (Laura) probably speaks English as well as I speak Spanish--which isn't saying much AT ALL! So, I think it's a good Spanish-learning situation--I can practice Spanish with Laura (well, with both of them) and Bierd can translate for us if need be. The only drawback to my living situation is that there's NO INTERNET! Which is NOT COOL! And, also, no landline phone (which would allow me to call home for much cheaper than my cell phone)! Maybe I'll work out some wi-fi deal with the neighbors--I could pay them 10 Euros a month to use their wi-fi? Something will work out. It's got to.
This morning Biz and I visited the friendliest church we've ever been to. The sweetest teenage girls were coming up to us introducing themselves during the service and spoke with us in Spanish for an hour afterwards. We were so impressed at how kind they were, and we definitely want to visit again. Most of the people at the church were South American--South Americans, by the way, are so friendly. That's what we learned today :). No, Spanish people are, too. But South Americans are exceptional.
I think I'm going to go take a siesta. Hasta luego!
2 comments:
Finally! I've needed a good song to get stuck in my head and replace the one I'm too embarrassed to admit has been up there for a while. Cate Raff, thank you.
Very jealous of the siesta. I mean, I still take them but it's a little looked down upon at work.
We miss you!
Post a Comment