Thursday, August 02, 2007

A week in Spain

Toledo at night

It honestly feels like I've been here for a year already. Or, at least a month. I'm a bit homesick today :(. I want my mommy! Just kidding--that's always how traveling is at the beginning. Then it starts flying by.

Biz and I are really tired of forking out money to hostels, so tonight will hopefully be our last night at Residencia La Luna. We're looking at two apartments tonight then making a decision about who will take which one among all the ones we've seen. I'm going to miss Biz--we usually talk for a good while every night, but I'm sure we'll still do slumber parties or something when we're apart. I bought the second season of "The Office" before I left, so we'll definitely have Office marathons, or something fun. And potlucks with the other English teachers--we've already planned on those :).

I'm just growing up right before my very eyes. Moving to Spain and living with Spanish people? This is exciting--but scary, honestly.

Yesterday Biz, this guy Ben and I had our first Spanish class--it was GREAT! All immersion, but slow and understandable! I'm hoping to keep taking Spanish classes after this month. Hopefully by next month we'll know not to order pig brains on the tapas menu... Of all the selections, that's what Biz decided to point to in Toledo over the weekend. I don't recommend them--the texture... is unbearable.

But, Toledo was awesome! It's a really historic town with a diverse background. There's a lot of amazing Muslim architecture, plus gorgeous cathedrals and Jewish mosques. The streets are narrow and labrynth-like. A lot of people say it looks like the Middle East. I loved it. I want to go back for the world's only Visigoth mass in Mozarabic--doesn't that sound intriguing? It used to be the Visigoth capital, then it was the Spanish capital. It's also been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. I'll take you there when you come visit! ;)

I miss you guys! :( I hope to post pictures soon, but I need to invest in a power converter before I can charge my computer, which is a lot of Euros! Also, I'll post my address as soon as I know it so I can start getting REAL MAIL! Yay! hehehe

6 comments:

SAR said...

My friend Ashley Desforge (you may have met her in passing) told me last night that you should take the 4-5 hour bus ride down to Granada. She studied there last year, and she says it is beautiful. Plus almost no one speaks English there, so it would be an even better place to try out your new Spanish.

Anonymous said...

Before you buy an expensive power converter, we found out when we got here that we just needed a new power cable. If your laptop is like ours there are two parts to the power cord. There a little box part, which itself is actually a power converter (connects directly into the laptop), and a plug with three holes that plugs into the converter box and the other end plugs into the electrical outlet. Look on your box thingy: the "input" on ours is 100-240V. The power here is 230V, so we're within range. We just had to find a new power cord with the right plug. Most hypermarket stores will have them... less than $10. It should look like this: http://img.alibaba.com/photo/51643727/European_Type_AC_PC_Y_Power_Cord_Cable.jpg
The plug may be different in Spain, but the idea is the same. Hope that helps.

Anonymous said...

Here's a link to the image if the other one doesn't work.

Anonymous said...

Cate,
Miss you too! I can't believe you ate pig brains! Gross!! I don't even usually like to eat any pork, much less brains!! So you're going to be living on your own? I thought you and Biz were going to share a place! Wouldn't that be more fun? Or is that not possible?
It's great that you'll know Spanish by the time you're back in SC in a year. Go you!
Love you, Cate!

Jim said...

Hey, I need to get a voltage converter as well. Where did you end up getting one? Thanks! Jim

Cate Raff said...

John--where do I find that voltage converter? Sounds great.